Terri Moss received her Specialist Certificate in Human Animal Interventions (CHAIS) from the Oakland University School of Nursing Center for Human Animal Interventions in 2016.
Since 1993, Terri Moss, who is also the founder of Moss Communications, publisher of award-winning inspirational books and wisdom cards for healthcare professionals, has found her inspiration in her volunteer visits to hospitalized children. In 1996, Terri and her dog, Cody, became an authorized team for Animal Assisted Activities (AAA), where they brought warmth, love, and healing connection into the lives of children, their families and staff.
In 2014, after evaluating dog/handler teams for Animal Assisted Activities through the non-profit organization, Therapy Pets, and coordinating the Animal Assisted Activities program for a large health system in northern California, Terri decided to formalize her training and began consulting with hospitals on the implementation of Animal Assisted Activities programs. Specifically, her credentials include:
- Received her Specialist Certificate in Human Animal Interventions (CHAIS) from the Oakland University School of Nursing Center for Human Animal Interventions.
- Received certificate of completion of workshop on Animal Assisted Therapy by Melissa Winkle, Dogwood Therapy, Albuquerque, NM.
- Attended Animal Assisted Intervention International conference in Denver, CO to learn to latest international trends in Animal Assisted Activities and Animal Assisted Therapy.
- Has visited patients since 1996 (pediatrics, and PICU) and in retirement facilities and adult daycare setting for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients.
- Has served as a Board member of Therapy Pets, an all-volunteer non-profit organization.
- Evaluates therapy pet handlers/dog teams.
- Helped implement and continues to coordinate Animal Assisted Therapy program at large California health system.
- Coauthored and published three books (including AJN Book of the Year, Healing with Heart: Inspirations for Healthcare Professionals), and wisdom cards.
- Moss Communications creates gift-quality materials that are both practical and inspirational for healthcare professionals
- Facilitates interactive Leading with Heart workshops on self-care for healthcare professionals.
- Speaks to hospitals and health care organizations on how to implement and sustain Animal Assisted Activities and Animal Assisted Therapy programs.